Everyone possesses both yin and yang elements that are constantly shifting depending on age, health, lifestyle, environment and diet. We are all born, however, with a general disposition toward being yin or yang, which is hereditary, as well as dependent on other factors. Since balance is the key to good health, it is helpful to know what your disposition is. Are you yin or are you yang?
According to Dr. Chun-Han Zhu, who practices in the Boston area, a Chinese doctor often observes general characteristics that indicate whether a person is yin or yang.
They are the following:
Yin Body Types
- Listless or lacking energy
- Thin and Pale-faced
- Vulnerable to infectious disease
- Relaxed, easy-going and quiet
- Sensitive to cold
Yang Body Types
- Usually superactive, hyper, full of energy and vitality
- Generally heavyset or overweight
- Flush faced or ruddy complexion
- Restless or impatient
- Not sensitive to cold
- Easily constipated
Diagnosis by a qualified physician is recommended for discerning any serious illness.